Zuora to Enable Meter, Price, and Bill Capabilities for the OpenStack Open Source Community with Z-Commerce for the Cloud
OSCON 2010, Portland, OR — July 26, 2010
Zuora Will Provide Metering, Pricing and Billing Capabilities for the OpenStack Cloud Platform
- Zuora, the company that defined and continues to lead the subscription billing industry, announced today that Zuora is a founding member of the OpenStack™ community, an open-source cloud platform designed to foster the emergence of technology standards and cloud interoperability.
- As part of this new open source community, service providers and cloud partners will be able to build, deploy and manage their own public and private clouds based on open source technologies and with Zuora’s Z-Commerce for the Cloud platform, companies standardizing on OpenStack will be able to automate the metering, pricing and billing for their full spectrum of products, bundles, and configurations quickly and accurately.
Enabling the Cloud Business Model Based on Open Source Technology
- OpenStack provides the infrastructure, comprehensive cloud services and community that service providers and cloud partners require to deliver cloud computing services to enterprises. For more information on OpenStack, see Rackspace’s news release at https://www.rackspace.com/information/mediacenter/release.php?id=8489
- Z-Commerce for the Cloud enables the new business models enabled by OpenStack that enterprise customers now demand such as the ability to meter, bill and price for any type of cloud consumption unit (e.g. GB, MB, TB, CPU, etc). Z-Commerce for the Cloud was launched in June after 12 months of development with cloud leaders including Cloud Central, Cloud.com., EMC, IC&S, Nu-b, OpSource, Tata, and Zetta.
- Until Z-Commerce for the Cloud was introduced, the lack of a billing infrastructure for the cloud has made it nearly impossible for providers to effectively bring their cloud offerings to market. Custom solutions, simple billing solutions and legacy ERP systems cannot support subscription and usage-based pricing configurations or frequent changes required to meet diverse and fluid customer requirements. Z-Commerce for the Cloud fills this gap.
The OpenStack community and Zuora will Enable the Cloud Computing Business Model
- “The OpenStack community is off to a great start with founding members such as Zuora adding critical capabilities for public and private cloud deployments,” said Mark Collier, an original organizer of OpenStack and VP, Business Development at Rackspace. “Zuora’s Z-Commerce for the Cloud solution solves the fundamental need to meter, price, and bill in the cloud, helping drive the commercial success and adoption of OpenStack.”
- “OpenStack is changing the game of cloud computing by offering service providers an open source cloud that’s proven to scale, and by building a strong, open community,” said Shawn Price, president and general manager at Zuora. “We are truly excited to have the opportunity to work with industry leaders like Citrix, Dell, and Peer 1, to bring forth the metering, pricing and billing capabilities required for the open source cloud to deliver on its potential.”
About Zuora, Inc.
Zuora’s subscription billing and commerce platform changes the way subscription businesses manage and sell to customers, allowing them to bring new products to market in less time, with more flexibility and less hassle. Zuora customers are up and running within 90 days and often recognize 200% ROI within weeks. Zuora is built from the ground up by SaaS industry visionaries and veterans from salesforce.com, WebEx, Accenture, Google, eBay, Oracle and Vitria. Zuora customers include Reed Business Information, Coremetrics, InsideView, Marketo, Ricoh, Box.net, Xactly, HD Cloud, and Cloud Central.
To learn more about Zuora, please visit www.zuora.com.
OpenStack is a large-scale open source cloud project and community established to drive industry standards, end cloud lock-in and speed the adoption of cloud technologies by service providers and enterprises. The project currently includes OpenStack Object Storage, a fully distributed object store, and OpenStack Compute, a scalable compute provisioning engine. OpenStack was founded by Rackspace® Hosting has the support of more than 25 technology industry leaders. For more information and to join the community, visit OpenStack.org.