OUR VISION: THE WORLD. SUBSCRIBED.
Customers have changed. They’re looking for new ways to engage with businesses. Consumers today have a new set of expectations. They want outcomes, not ownership. Customization, not generalization. Constant improvement, not planned obsolescence.
In the old world (let’s call it the Product Economy) it was all about things. Acquiring new customers, shipping commodities, billing for one-time transactions. But in today’s new era, it’s all about relationships. More and more customers are becoming subscribers because subscription experiences built around services meet consumers’ needs better than the static offerings or a single product.
Our vision is “The World Subscribed” where one day every company will be a part of the Subscription Economy® (a phrase coined by our CEO, Tien Tzuo and author of the best selling book Subscribed).
We are looking for a Database Engineer (DBE) to join a team of talented Engineers from prestigious companies such as Facebook, Groupon, Netflix, and Yahoo to name a few. This role will be a member of the Database Ops & Engineering group within Zuora’s Technical Operations (TechOps) organization, which supports and scales the Zuora service and underlying infrastructures. The DBE will be responsible for operating, automating of MySQL database instances across all environments.
WHAT YOU’LL ACHIEVE
As the performance of the database is critical to the response time of the application, and the Zuora service is business critical to every single one of its customers, this role is critical to the success of the business itself. You will make a major difference in how the service scales and sustains data recovery capabilities. The DBE should have significant background and expertise in system administration for Linux and open source environments, and be fluent in best practices in designing optimal systems, storage architectures and automation frameworks. You must also be security minded and continuously exercise good judgment in ensuring the privacy and integrity of our customers’ data.
Prior experience in managing database systems that store highly sensitive data and adhere to regulatory compliance such as PCI and SAS70/SSAE16 is a must. This role will work closely with fellow members of the TechOps team to maintain business continuity and performance.
- Participate in design reviews with Development to ensure a given release does not compromise the security, integrity or quality of the underlying data structures used by the application
- Maintain high security and ethics, adhering to regulatory compliance such as PCI and SAS70/SSAE16 with respect to data storage, management, and access
- Automate tools and processes to establish trends in data growth and forecast capacity needs
- Execute data migrations and database upgrades as part of Zuora's product releases and ensure our automation is keeping up with our exploding database growth
- Ensure all databases and processes follow best practices and fit into the strategy Initially perform, and longer term provide oversight for all MySQL administration including installation, configuration, replication, backups, and performance tuning
- Work with the various Engineering groups and ensure database changes are in-line with operational standards and meet the strategies needed to scale Participate in on-call responsibilities, including at the database and storage tier.
- Work hand in hand with Release Engineering teams to support database changes required for new code deployment
You will take part in a shared on-call rotation that won’t cripple your life or kill your soul.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO BE SUCCESSFUL
- 7-10 years supporting database platforms for online service businesses. Have experience in both OLTP and OLAP design methodologies
- Drive best practices in monitoring databases with the ability to identify key performance indicators and put facilities in place to alarm on-call personnel for actionable events expertise in various MySQL replication technologies including when to use one method over another, limitations, and alternatives
- Fluency in horizontally scaling database infrastructures and identifying the most appropriate factors from which to split against based on application design and supported use cases Experience in designing and managing MySQL clustering is required
- Strong track record at implementing automated solutions for database operations, including failover, schema changes and sharding to name a few using technologies such as Ansible, Puppet, Jenkins, Terraform
- Experience with on-call and customer incident investigations and root cause analysis at database and storage tiers.
- Excellent coding skills using Python
ABOUT ZUORA & OUR “ZEO” CULTURE
Zuora (NYSE: ZUO) Zuora provides the leading cloud-based subscription management platform that functions as a system of record for subscription businesses across all industries. Powering the Subscription Economy®, the Zuora platform was architected specifically for dynamic, recurring subscription business models and acts as an intelligent subscription management hub that automates and orchestrates the entire subscription order-to-revenue process seamlessly across billing and revenue recognition. Zuora serves more than 1,000 companies around the world, including Box, Ford, Penske Media Corporation, Schneider Electric, Siemens, Xplornet, and Zoom.
At Zuora, we have one CEO but every employee is empowered and supported to be the ‘ZEO’ of their own career experience. By embedding inclusion and belonging into our processes, policies and culture, we are building a workplace where our 1,200+ ZEOs across North America, Europe, and APAC can bring all the elements of who they are into their work. In addition to an industry-leading six-month, 100% paid parental leave for all our ZEOs, we also offer programs to support your mental health and give back to our communities along with “career cash” and plenty of learning and development opportunities.
To learn more visit www.zuora.com
Zuora is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer
Think, be and do you! At Zuora, different perspectives, experiences and contributions matter. Everyone counts. Zuora is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating an inclusive environment for all.
Zuora does not discriminate on the basis of, and considers individuals seeking employment with Zuora without regards to, race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)zuora.com