Our Vision & Mission
For the last 100 years, companies have operated primarily under a product-centric business model, where the goal was to make, ship, and sell more units. Today, there’s a demand to have products and services delivered on a continual, subscription basis; to upgrade and access new innovations and features constantly. This is the end of ownership and it changes everything. Our vision is “The World Subscribed” where one day every company will be a part of the Subscription Economy® (a phrase coined by our CEO, Tien Tzuo).
Zuora’s leading, cloud-based software solution automates all subscription order-to-revenue operations in real-time for any business. Companies in any industry can launch new businesses, shift products to subscription, implement new pay-as-you-go pricing and packaging models, gain new insights into subscriber behavior, and disrupt market segments to gain competitive advantage.
The Contracts Specialist – Deal Desk will play a key role in helping support negotiation, administration and drafting of Order Forms and Amendments and ensuring the compliance with nonstandard contract terms for SaaS customer deals.
What you’ll do & achieve:
- Serve as one of the main interfaces between Zuora's Finance, Sales and Legal teams (and more broadly with other business “stakeholder” teams) for a variety of contract negotiation, administration, and compliance matters.
- Conduct initial assessment of contract templates proposed by customers (e.g., “customer paper” NDAs, master relationship agreements and SOWs) in parallel with Legal to issue-spot, help drive resolution of business issues, and escalate to senior management for approval exceptions as needed.
- Help make decisions about certain pricing and contract terms (within playbook parameters), and obtain stakeholder approval where necessary outside those parameters.
- Assist in ensuring compliance with non-standard contract terms, and develop best practices for addressing non-standard deal requirements.
- Partner with internal organizations to understand complex sales issues and collaborate creatively to identify acceptable options to facilitate deal closure.
- Partner closely with Zuora’s Legal team, Sales/Sales Operations and other internal cross-functional client groups to identify, design and document a scalable roadmap/framework for the Deal Desk function, and align cross-functional stakeholders on objectives and goals for the program that meets the company’s objectives.
- Assist with design and oversee training on the Deal Desk function for all relevant teams.
- Maintain playbooks containing pre-approved fallback positions to resolve business issues.
- Help identify and deploy key metrics/measures that will be used to evaluate success and validate the business impact of the Deal Desk program.
- Work with the Orders Manager to identify process improvement and/or sales training opportunities (including standardizing RFP and RFI responses).
What you’ll need to be successful:
- BA/BS degree required
- Demonstrated expertise experience with contracts negotiation, management and administration, including attentively reviewing and redlining contracts, excellent writing skills, and ability to clearly and succinctly use “plain English” to explain company positions and policies to non-lawyers
- At least 5-7 years of previous software industry (ideally at least 2-3 years in SaaS), Deal Desk and/or sales operations experience preferred
- Experience at a public, global company and at a fast-growing private company preferred
- Basic foundational understanding of software revenue recognition principles preferred
- Exposure to international business preferred
- Experience delivering impactful training and presentations to Sales preferred
- Experience using Salesforce, Box, DocuSign, and Google docs / sheets a plus