Principal Data Architect
Position Summary: Principal Data Architect supports decision making across Zuora’s business by organizing, analyzing data and providing insights to internal teams and business users. As Data Platform Architect, this person will work closely with the rest of the engineers to support and implement a variety of data applications, including the data warehouse/data lake environment, custom developed applications, and off the shelf software. This hands-on role focuses on planning, engineering, design, implementation and managing data services – across their full lifecycle.
- Develop data platforms architecture strategy and roadmaps in support of business goals and objectives
- Design and drive a data platform ecosystem targeting self-service for the business analytics teams
- Research on new technologies relating to data ingestion, data processing, data transformation, data analytics, data management and databases design in order to meet or exceed scalability, performance, reliability and security requirements.
- Implement guidelines, standards and procedures for databases and disaster recovery, high availability and reporting instances.
- Focus on capacity management of the data platform, and assist development teams on how best to leverage the platform.
- Partner with product, engineering and business stakeholders and work cross-functionally to create and communicate key insights, influence key decisions and offer recommendations to leadership
- Be a truth seeker. You ask why, and you question every assumption. You will be asked to probe assumptions, question the status quo, and follow up on unexpected data results.
- Gather analytics requirements and translate to data requirements. Create and measure key performance indicators and metrics.
- Design and prepare periodic and ad hoc reports, presentations, and exploratory analysis that are designed to use raw data to provide key insights to members of the Customer Success, Sales, Marketing, Services, Finance and other business stakeholders
- Create ELT flows to help support the business make data-informed decisions
- Consolidate, cleanse and transform data to prepare for reporting and analysis
- Create Data Quality Metrics and drive ongoing Governance of Data
- Overlap with the Data Engineers to devise remediation strategies for data quality issues
- Play the role of a Scrum Master and drive data initiatives with engineers and analysts working onsite as well as offshore
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Very strong AWS experience, strong AWS database services expertise, data lake and data warehouse
- Strong technical data skills for ad hoc requests (SQL performance tuning, Kafka configuration, AWS data migration expertise, platform cluster design, etc).
- Python, Go or other automation skills are highly preferable.
- Ability to apply high-level analytical, statistical, and quantitative problem solving skills to a variety of different scenarios and make recommendations based on outcomes.
- Hands-on engineering to develop prototypes and production data platforms, 3-4 large implementations in AWS preferred
- Experience in M/L and AI and its impact on data architecture, data structure and databases
- Flexible, independent, motivated self-starter who can establish a course of action for self and others and drive initiatives to completion.
- Ability to proactively identify problems, gather information and drive course of action for self and others.
- Innovative thinker who drives self and others in the development and implementation of new ideas; unafraid of taking risks to accomplish corporate level goals.
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills with acute attention to detail.
- Passionate about learning new skills and technologies.
- Excellent communication skills including an ability to present information clearly and concisely in writing or verbally to a wide audience including clients, managers and senior leaders; effectively uses active listening skills.
- Driven to focus on quality and drives team members and peers to deliver exceptional quality and service.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Proven history of finding valuable insights from complex sets of data
- Delivered data insights using different data sources; SQL, Excel and at least one business intelligence tool such as Tableau, PowerBI or Mode Analytics is preferred.
- Hands on experience with typical data integration scenarios across business applications from Lead to Cash to Revenue like SFDC, Zuora, Netsuite
- Ability to successfully work with cross range of teams including engineering, UX, legal, finance, sales and operations
- Excellent written and verbal communications across technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Embrace Zuora core values and company vision.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Engineering or Analytics, Operation Research, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, or other Data Sciences or equivalent in experience
- 5+ years of experience in data analytics, dashboarding, and insight generation. Strong SQL, Python, and data-visualization skills.
- 5+ years in quantitative/analytic role, preferably as part of a technology/software company
- 5+ years experience with BI Tooling such as Tableau, Pentaho, Cognos, etc.
- 3+ years experience with data exploration/engineering tooling (e.g. S3, Kinesis, Glue, Athena, Zeppelin, Jupyter)
- Good understanding and working experience in technology development best practices (such as, Agile, etc.)